Monday 19 November 2012

PURPLE! 0_0

The inquisitive one of this motley crew is back ladies and gentlemen! You might have noticed that in my first post, my font colour was purple. This is because I am utterly crazy about this sexy colour lying in the visible spectrum between red and blue ^.^ and I'm gonna tell you why does it appeal to me so.

There's undoubtedly something so appealing about this hue. It's neither a flaming hot red, neither does it display the sheer coolness of a lovely blue. It stands it's own ground and has it's own uniqueness. To me, it's an enigmatic colour. It can be an aloof hue (no wonder purple is considered the colour of royalty) or it can be a mischievous, playful colour. I love being surrounded by this shade because it holds an aura... And quite an unfathomable one at that :P


Over the years (and I think I can trace this back five- six years), my fondness has grown from a mere attraction to the colour to a full blown mad obsession. In fact, whenever I spy something purple, my first instinct is to shriek "EE! PURPLE!" and then I go all bug eyed and spend ages gushing over it. It's something which never fails to amuse all my friends and they've all learnt that something in purple is the best gift I can ever get. 


My range of purple coloured possessions are astounding to anybody who is unaware of my extreme love for the colour. My wardrobe has an extensive number of purple tops, kurtas and yes, my day feels incomplete if I haven't worn my favourite purple shorts.

I own a purple pouch, which I carry diligently everywhere and inside it, there are no less that three pens having purple ink. 
I love buying any cosmetics that come in purple containers- for example, I have a grape flavoured lip gloss which I bought on sight and then later repented because it has a very repulsive flavour and I hardly use it now. I have come to prefer flavous like raspberry, cranberry and blueberry in all my cosmetics because they all are packaged in containers having various hues of purple ;) At this moment, I am working my way through a bottle of raspberry flavoured face wash by Lacto Calamine and the bottle is adorable!
Purple nail polish! Aah! One of my weaknesses! I have bottles and bottles and bottles of them!! I have bottles with dried up, crusted polish inside because I keep getting newer bottles without finishing the older ones
I was utterly overjoyed when my aunt got me a ring with purple beads on it from Venice. I think it is my cutest piece of jewelry yet. Speaking of jewelry, I have uncountable number of earrings and pendants in various shades, from lilac to deep violet.
I recently bought a gorgeous pinkish-purple glitter eye pencil from Kolkata at a bargain price (only 20 rupees!) and I keep it like a sacred treasure, using it for only special occasions  For other times, I gleefully use my mom's eye pencils ;)
I had a light purple keychain that my friend had given me but I broke it one time when I was playing with it :/
I have a purple wallet.
My spectacles' frame is purple.
I use a purple towel.
I had a pair of glares whose lenses were tinted purple but then they broke. So my aunt got me a new pair but the shop didn't have any with purple tints. So the case in which I keep my glares is purple!!
I have numerous purple hair accessories which I make a point to wear as often as possible.
It's really silly, but I prefer putting in dough mixtures into the purple coloured muffin moulds first before pouring it into the other ones. That must really tell how much of a psycho I am ;)
Right now I own a very stupid phone (a Nokia C5 03) and it's not very common in the market. The minute I get a new phone that has a lot of accessories available, I'm gonna kit myself out with a purple phone cover. I'm already covered for ear phones, I have a bright purple pair ;)

Now that you have all seen the importance of this colour in my life, allow me to share a few tidbits of information about this gorgeous colour.


  • Wikipedia defines the colour as the range of hues existing between red and blue. It can be obtained by mixing the two primary colours, red and blue, in varying proportions. In color theory, a "purple" is defined as any non-spectral color between violet and red (excluding violet and red themselves).
  • The word "purple" comes from the Old English word purpul which is derived from the Latin purpura which was the name given to a dye extracted from a species of snail
  • The first recorded use of the word purple was in the year 975 AD
  • The different shades of this wonderful colour are:
  1. Tyrian purple
  2. Han purple
  3. Royal purple
  4. Artists' pigment purple (red-violet)
  5. Veronica
  6. Medium purple
  7. Thistle
  8. Orchid
  9. Heliotrope
  10. Psychedelic purple
  11. Purple pizzazz
  12. Mulberry
  13. Pearly purple
  14. Mardi gras
  15. Pomp and power
  16. Pansy purple
  • The purple coloured ball in billiard and snooker gets you ten points
  • Purple is associated with Saturday in the Thai solar calendar. 
  • However, in Japan, purple is considered the colour of death
  • There is a mountain called Purple Mountain on the eastern side of Nanjing, Jiangsu Province in the People's Republic of China. It's peaks are enveloped in mysterious purple clouds at dawn and dusk, hence the name 'Purple Mountain'.
  • In 16th century England, purple was the colour for the last stage of mourning.
  • As everyone knows, Deep Purple is a highly popular band.
  • In parapsychology, people having purple auras are said to have a love of ritual and ceremony
  • Like another colour orange, there is no word in the English language that rhymes with 'purple'
  • In the Star Trek universe, Klingons have purple blood.
  • "Porphyrophobia" is a fear of the colour purple
So! That ends my post for today and by now you all must be knowing what a strong porphyrophilic I am!
Remember boys and girls, if you ever need to appease me, anything that is purple (save bruises!) is most welcome! ;) 

~ Inquisitive I

No comments:

Post a Comment