Saturday 25 January 2014

Birds' Gotta Drink!

These two events may seem to be a figment of my imagination, and I wouldn't even blame you for thinking so. After all, being confined to my hostel for three continuous weeks, would you blame me if I started seeing things that weren’t actually there? But let me assure you, I witnessed these with my own two eyes. And my fellow hostel-ites can vouch for at least one of these, if not both.
            I was compelled to chronicle the sights I saw, because it shows the sheer ingenuity present in the so called “dumb” animals all around us. Sure sometimes they may do stupid and hilarious things, because that’s just what their instincts tell them. But sometimes it’s astounding to see the level of smarts they display to adapt to their ever changing environment. Like Darwin said, it’s truly ‘survival of the fittest’ out there. Fittest brain, to be exact.
            So, one day, I was washing my clothes in the hostel courtyard. It was a hot afternoon, despite it being January. Global warming is real folks, don’t you forget it. Anyway, for the uninitiated, girls wash their clothes and their vessels at the same tap in the hostel (mercifully not with the same soap!). The tiles around are never dry. And the plain shahabadi has been slowly eroded away to leave irregularly shaped puddles around them. Water, scummy things, soap dregs, foam and a whole lot of nasty things collect in these puddles. Man, if you ever accidentally step in them, I’d recommend bathing your feet five times.
Back to the point. It was a hot day and I washing my clothes. Just then, I noticed a pigeon flutter down pretty close to me. The pigeons in my hostel are not exactly tame, but they’re not completely feral anymore. They’re very vexing pests. They make nests in unlikely places, shower the corridors with a lot of pigeon poop and their chicks have a grating squeal that could rouse zombies from the ground. The worst part is that nothing intimidates them. No matter how hard we try to scare them away, they just sit resolutely and give us the evil eye, in a manner which strongly reminds me of Nigel the cockatoo from the movie Rio.
This particular pigeon, on that particular afternoon, was a thirsty bird. He waddled about and a puddle of cholera attracted his attention. He dipped his beak in it and just as quick, withdrew it, evident disgust apparent on his face. Then the still-dripping tap caught his eye. He fluttered to the tap handle and tried getting upside down to get to the water. All this while, I was crouching on the ground, motionless, wanting to see what the pigeon would do. A part of me marveled at his acrobatic ability even as most of me was transfixed by his efforts. Then he became upright and unmistakably, he gave me the evil eye. A haughty, villainous look which clearly said ‘Minion. I want water. I expect you to give me water’. For a moment I just looked at the pigeon. And the pigeon looked back at me first from one eye and then from the other in that odd way that only birds can. I got up and walked to the tap. And quicker than blinking the bugger flew away. Minion, my foot. Nevertheless, since I felt bad for the bird, I turned the tap ever so slightly so that a light trickle of water started falling. No sooner did I turn back to my clothes, that the pigeon returned and started drinking. After that, till my chore was completed, I kept the tap turned to a slight trickle, which may seem wasteful to some of you, but a score of sparrows and a few more pigeons deigned to visit and have their full of water. Normally, I’m a person who takes the extra effort to secure a dripping tap. But as I sat there that afternoon, I couldn’t help but marvel at a mere pigeon’s instinct of self preservation. I’ve seen doofus dogs merrily lap at puddles of water which could be containing just about any lethal thing, and then they lop away like nothing ever happened. But that pigeon blew my mind.
The second and more unbelievable thing that I witnessed leaves this pigeon thing in the dust. About a week ago, I happened to be in the hostel garden. The trees were filled with great black crows, cawing in their hoarse voices. Suddenly, one crow flew down to the tap in the garden and before my shocked eyes, he turned the tap! With his claws! Water started gushing out, and cool as a cucumber, the crow gladly helped himself and flew away, before I could pick up my jaw from the ground. But no! Wait! He was followed by two more of his brethren in rapid succession, one that simply drank and flew away, and one that drank to his fill and turned the water off before flying away. For a few seconds I could not find my voice. Then I proceeded to run in and inform my friends of my discovery. The joke was on me. I was the last person to come to know of this! Everyone in my hostel had seen the dexterous ingenious crows before. I couldn’t believe I that a trio of such astute animals lived in such close proximity to me and I had never noticed. Man, I should be given dibs to the next Kit Kat ad!
            When one thinks about it, what have we not taken away from the birds? We’ve taken away the trees in which they make their homes. We’ve taken away the sprawling fields where they got their food. We’ve taken away their clean lakes, ponds and rivers. We’ve taken away their clean, pure air. We bombard them with airwaves twenty-four-seven. We dump rubbish and chemicals everywhere. We’re choking them slowly. But their resilience must be saluted. They are thriving, not just coping, with all the inadequacies.

In short, moral of the story, the next time you are tempted to call someone a ‘bird-brain’, re-think that. They’re secretly plotting to take over the world. One human appliance at a time.

Inquisitive I

No comments:

Post a Comment